Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Another day another opinion

We went out with the kids today. D has been cutting down dead trees and cleaning brush. We organized it into categories: Solid thick Oak and Walnut to mill for cabinets, trim, staircase and possibly floors; scrap pieces for burning in the biomass burner; scrappier ones burning into ash and mixing into the soil; and stuff to just leave to rot and be part of the ecosystem.

We are going to tag different saplings for what to keep and what to harvest and what to scrap. That will be a great school project.

The kids really enjoyed the day. The were dragging branches around, and looking at bugs under logs and walking out into the creek and pond in their Wellingtons. N's boots are a preppy pink and green plaid, B's are black and yellow, mine are pink.

After several days of questioning if this is really where we want to be, it felt good to be there. I was saying to D that I was worried I'd be isolated and he pointed out that I am a loner by nature, so why would that matter. I may not have any friends in the area, but I am kind of used to that, I guess. Seeing the kids walking through the forest and talking about the garden and the house and a gazebo and a fire pit, it all made sense again.

But, if a realtor from Colorado or Idaho contacted me with right piece of land ...

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Mountain Diva(Love the name btw). As I've said before, you will look back on this move as one of the best things you've ever done. I am so happy for you and your family. Who knows, with me being only one state away I may even find time to come by and lend you a hand.

    Now go get down and dirty!

    ReplyDelete